Thursday 29 August 2013

Preparations

My children have the flu, flu, flu, with some strep throat too, too, too, what about you, you, you?  I can feel bright and sunny about it all now with the worst of it behind us, but to be honest, the last 12 days 4 hours and 37 minutes have been quite draining.  It is probably just my perception of things, but it does feel that in this household, there is always at least one person who is not feeling a hundy.

Something I have often wondered at times like this is what would happen if I was working full-time? No-one I know would come and look after contagious children (at least, not willingly) and you'd always be cast as that family that passed on the bugs. So, how do parents who work full-time manage total mask-wearing quarantine-requiring illness? Do you have understanding employers who will allow you to take a week's leave at a moments' notice or do you pump your children full of paracetamol and send them off to school or daycare and hope no-one notices your child collapsed in a festering heap at the back of the classroom? You do do that, don't you?!

If we absolutely had to succumb to sickness, it probably came at the right time, as my youngest daughter turns 4 soon. Fortunately, neither her nor I have caught the bug - yet - *shines my perfect parenting halo with extra-heavy duty sanitizer that kills 99.9% of germs whilst wearing latex gloves* so we have been planning a few things for her party. Her sick sisters crawled off the couch for a minute or two whenever they felt able to contribute to the cause.

Aimee has asked for a rainbow/princess/Bubble Guppy theme. Nothing like a 4 year old's imagination to get you thinking outside the square. I am very grateful for the internet as I have never actually sat down with her to watch the show *gasp!* and would not have a clue who the characters are but I will find a way to incorporate it amongst the sparkly garishness that is the world of 4 year old girls.

Thusly, a preview of our preparations:

Even if it doesn't sound like it, I love planning my daughters' parties. I know there is such a small window before they get older and will no longer need or want my input. This year will see my older girls having more involvement in decorating, organising and helping to run the party games.


They are just as excited about Aimee's party as the birthday girl is and I hope that their anticipation lasts for a few more years yet.

There just had better not be any sick party guests.

9 comments:

  1. When I worked almost full time Nathan and I just had to share time off when kids got sick. For non-illness related issues (e.g:daycare flooding) I am so lucky to have a great friend who will have my kids at the drop of a hat (and I will have hers). Luckily my 2 so far have been reasonably healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very lucky to have a friend close by; living closer to our parents would make these times so much easier, wouldn't it?!

      Delete
  2. Sick kiddies here too. So thankful not to be working. When I did work and had Bell at school I had a very amazing and understanding boss who let me work from home. And on a couple of occasions I hid her under my desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great boss! Would you say that working around your children at home made you more or less productive in your work? Did you meet your deadlines or was your boss flexible about when you could submit your work?

      Delete
  3. It is a nightmare juggling sick children and work. I hated the pressure I felt on to work as a mum and firmly believe that children need their mums so that was what made me give up work....I know not everyone can but honestly..did the suffragettes really know what they were fighting for? I found rather than career or family, we were suspected to do everything and be superwoman... So glad they are getting better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I do feel lucky that I get to focus on my role as a mum without the pressure of paid employment; raising my girls well is the most important job I will ever have. I also love that I can help out when there are school events on the days that Aimee is at kindy and being there for my girls on their school sports days. Once my youngest turns 5, I will feel more pressure to find the perfect part-time job that fits in around school hours and all their after-school activities. I think sometimes the pressure to be everything to everyone can be really overwhelming and I guess I just have to make sure that everybody is happy, whatever we decide.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with the superwoman comment. I think the ideal is that each woman can choose what they want to do, but the reality is that in this day and age the pressure is to contribute financially to your family, and to do everything else as well! A full time job that lasted longer than a term would seriously give me a mental breakdown! And create a horrible shouty, grumpy Mum for my kids!

      Delete
  4. Oh yuck for you guys! Love that halo though! :) HOpe you're all feeling much much better super duper soon :) and yay for birthdays! love birthdays and that theme sounds freeking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leonie, I am going to the blog camp tomorrow and the thought of sitting down for a few hours is just so relaxing. I hope I don't fall asleep in it, that would look quite bad, wouldn't it? If the girls are still feeling unwell, it's Dad's turn to take over the reins. I have pinned a couple of your rainbow ideas, I'm excited to get started on it.

      Delete

I love that you take the time to comment. Except for spam, not loving that. I no longer allow comments from anonymous users for that reason.