Friday 28 June 2013

Crochet cushion covers

As many of you who have been following my blog for a while know, I learnt how to crochet last year. My first project was going to be a flower crochet blanket, but I bit off more than I could chew and valued my sanity far too much to continue, so it became a teeny tiny cushion. The end result was that I was left with ten barely used 100 gram balls of acrylic yarn and two 50 gram balls of wool and an overwhelming desire to use it all up. At All Costs.

Over the course of the past few months, I have made several blankets, which have helped to obliterate some of my yarn stash, but I also have had to make a mercy dash down to my local store to purchase more balls when I ran out of the colours needed to finish my projects - which of course now means I have still more yarn to use up. It's a vicious cycle, I tell you.

This is how my stash looks at the moment:

Not too alarming, is it? There are a couple more balls of Spagetti yarn floating around the place too. Looking back on these past few months, I'm quite surprised by how much I have made, and it reveals an obvious passion for making blankets. I will take a photo of everything I have made that is still in my possession to show you all some day soon.

There were some leftover balls of wool from the travel blanket I made for my friend's baby, so I chanced my arm and hoped there would be enough to make complementary cushion covers. Fortunately for me there was, because the small yarn shop that I bought the wool from has now closed down.

The lighting is very poor here at the moment *shakes fist at the winter and condensationy windows*; the red and dark grey are much darker than how they appear below.  The granny square is very easy to make now; I love that I can just sit watching evening television while working on a single stitch project and not have to concentrate.


Its sister cushion is a combination of granny squares and working in rounds. I used different colours in each square to add interest and two squares have added texture with the flower details on them.  I sewed some dark grey vinyl to the backs and I'm less than convinced that it works together.  Ho hum.

The colour of the fabric is almost black, as pictured above. This close-up angle shows the texture and envelope closure in more detail:


I created these cushions to add a bit more snuggly winter warmth to our lounge, but I decided they really didn't fit with the feel of the room. That and my husband doesn't like them.

Linking up for some Matariki Crafting and Show and Tell love.

Degree of difficulty: Easy. Convincing my husband they are cool - not so easy.
Time taken: 4 days
Result: Part of me thinks I should unpick the backs and just sew the granny square top to the back of the patchwork top.  What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. I am loving the colours of your cushions. So styley :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the backs look fine and fit with the look... they're very styley in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leonie. Much like art, people have different tastes in craft, but this is the second use of 'styley' in as many comments, so just maybe I might have to start believing that people do like what I am doing. I still can't believe that people have pinned things I have made, it just blows my mind!

      Delete
  3. These are great! I think my favourite is the one with the combination of granny squares and working in the round. A great use of your wool stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet, not long now till the end of the Matariki party, will I have time to submit one more craft project - dun dun dun!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh, you're so lovely. What's gorgeous are your rainbow wrist warmers - love them!

      Delete
  5. love the colours ! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's great to have you stop by.

      Delete
  6. Mel, I think the same of your blog and the way you can capture things so beautifully on camera. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you take the time to comment. Except for spam, not loving that. I no longer allow comments from anonymous users for that reason.