Who knew that settling upon a chair colour would be so difficult? In true indecisive fashion, I grabbed a swag of test pots and then left them sitting in the bag for a few weeks.
I went with my original shortlist and applied the paint colours onto a board, waited to see how they would look in natural light, artificial light and up against the other main colour in the room (which is white) - and then decided against all of them. Luckily for me, my husband has access to testpots through his line of work otherwise the ol' wallet might have been feeling a bit ouchy.
Since I was wavering between my first pick, Half Kumutoto and a lighter aqua called Reservoir, I did what any true professional would do and asked my children what colour they liked. They all picked Reservoir. When I painted it on my test board, it looked to be the perfect colour.
I cannot believe that after all that, I still managed to get the colour wrong. Incredibly wrong. $30 wrong. I painted the first coat with half a hope that it would dry darker and become that nice shade from the testpot. Not to be. The chair is mint green. Or Peppermint. Or Ugly. Take your pick. Now my little project has become a salvage operation to help it tie in to its surroundings.
The paint finish is a semi-gloss, which is probably the only saving grace as it has given the chair a really nice sheen, and gives definition to the details on the chair back and seat, which is what I had hoped for.
The chair was originally intended to be used in a part of the house that is a bit of a blank canvas at the moment. Now, I'm not so sure about it. I cannot show you the space yet as it is a future project that I plan to blog about. This is my red bag giving the chair a few lessons on how to look cool just by hanging out on a door handle.
Until I find a better place for it, the chair can sit in my room for now and look after some cushions for me.